12th, 13th, 19th & 20th July
Level 2 award in swimming teaching
Pool emergency procedure (Sunday 3rd August)
Please contact Camelford Leisure centre or book at reception
Holders of the STA Level 2 Award in Swimming Teaching can teach up to 10 beginners. They
may deliver the STAnley Series of awards and also the Octopus and Goldfish Series of STA’s
International Learn to Swim Programme.
Holders of the STA Level 2 Award in Swimming Teaching may also act as an assistant
swimming teacher and may teach larger classes or advanced skills under the direct supervision of
a swimming teacher qualified to certificate level.
• 16 years of age or older.
• Current membership of STA.
• Hold the STA Level 1 Award in Pool Emergency Procedures or acceptable equivalent.
• Hold either the STA Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
certificate (available online at www.trainsta.co.uk) or acceptable equivalent.
Length of Course
49 Notional Learning Hours comprising:
28 contact Guided Learning Hours.
21 non contact Guided Learning Hours
Units studied include:
• Understanding the elementary scientific principles relevant to swimming.
• Planning, preparing and teaching swimming.
• Understanding the principles for safe and equitable coaching practice.
Candidates must complete a portfolio and worksheet questions to the satisfaction of the course
tutor as well as undertaking poolside teaching during the course.
There will also be an external assessment where candidate must:
• Teach a 10 minute lesson to 4 beginners.
• Teach a 10 minute lesson to 4 improvers.
• Complete a 30 question multiple choice paper with a unit pass mark of 7 out of 10 per unit.