Sunday 3rd August
10am – 5pm
Please contact Camelford Leisure Centre
or register at reception
STA Award in Pool Emergency Procedures
Holders of the STA Award in Pool Emergency Procedures (PEP) are able to act as a rescuer, trained in pool rescue, adult, child and infant CPR techniques competent to deal with poolside emergencies in accordance with The HSE Publication Managing health and safety in swimming pools and British Standard BS EN 15288 swimming pools Part 2, safety requirements for operations. It will suit candidates who require a prerequisite lifesaving qualification for all STA swimming teaching courses.
Validity of Award
• Be 14 years of age or over.
• Be able to recover an object from the deepest part of the pool.
• Be able to swim 25 metres (candidates who cannot swim 25 metres must be able to demonstrate the ability to wade, and effect a rescue, in a pool with a depth no greater than chest depth.
Length of Course
Training courses, including final assessment, should last at least 6 contact hours. Contact hours refer to actual teaching or practical time. It does not include coffee and meal breaks.
This programme can be run over one day or in sessions over a period of weeks. Note: When split each session must be a minimum duration of 2 hours.
The qualification is assessed as set out below:
• Continual assessment by the course tutor.
• Completion of the portfolio and worksheet to the satisfaction of the course tutor.
• Demonstrating the ability to carry out various defined rescue activities in a safe, effective and prompt manner.
• Demonstrating CPR and the preparatory actions and aftercare.
This qualification is revalidated by attending another 6 hour course.